Name:
Location: Stroud, Glos, United Kingdom

Monday, February 27, 2006

An adsense conscience?

I have been having a little conflict of conscience over the weekend with how to progress with my adsense empire (Currently stands at three sites at present! - Daily income - single figures - usually just the one single figure 0!)

Anyhow, I am not perturbed by the lack of income, in fact I am very optimistic about how much could be made. No, the quandry is more about which direction to go in with the site building.

I have spent a fair bit of time looking into the rssg/rssgm program the last couple of days. Its a marvelous piece of work. Very clever. Way over the top of my head as to how it actually functions but I have just been looking into/thinking about how I would like it to work and how to modify the templates to create something I am happy with.

Then though, the conscience struck and I started to think do I really want to just churn out site after scraped site. I have no doubt that you could easily churn out hundreds, probably thousands of pages with the scraping technique, every day. Of course, whether the search engines would reward you for this is highly doubtful.

(Just out of interest, anyone had their adsense account put on hold for such methods? I seem to remember a post about this happening somewhere.)

Anyhow, work kind of stopped over the weekend due to my wranglings (and other commitments). Then, tonight I did a little research into how much people are bidding on certain terms with the overture tool at pixelfast. (You can find this handy tool amongst 151 SEO tools) - A few results blew me away - One inparticular being the search phrase "charity" - This is a hugely popular keyword and there are registered charities bidding very high amounts to feature in the top spot. Now, it strikes me that there is something majorly wrong when charities can spend more than your average business on promoting themselves.

I did toy with the idea of trying an adsense site for the keyphrase charity - for all of about 1 second - unfortunately my conscience defiantly would not let me go down this route!! Even if I dont agree with the way/amount of money some of these charities are blowing on self promotion.

What followed from this train of thought was that, although I have a bit of an issue with creating total scrapers, there are certain sectors that will be paying big bucks for advertising, that I dont particularly like - in fact, there are certain types of industries/advertisers that I really, really dont like. Off the top of my head, and to give you some idea, I am thinking gas companies that announce 22% price rises just as they announce record profits, petrol companies that announce record profits despite continuing to rip us off at the pumps, governments that insist on bleeding us dry with taxes (do they use adsense?). Anyhow, I am sure you get the drift and I am sure I will be able to think of many more. My first target you will have to try and guess - I will announce it when I get a site up and running.

I appreciate that this is almost definitely not the best way about making money from adsense but it is one that I am very comfortable with. I am still shying away from total scrapers, purely due to the fact that I have my doubts about their effectiveness and longevity, but I may try a few in the future (just for research you understand).

Wish me luck on my campaign,

Cheers,
Rich

5 Comments:

Blogger geebandit said...

Compromise your morals at first and start with some scraper sites to get a feel for the tools and methods that work.

Once you have a sense of what works well, spend the extra time to create the sites that will keep your morals and have staying power. You'll get faster at making the sites as you go, plus you'll make some money along the way.

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog with good information on articles.

Thank you for providing relevant information. I’ll keep visiting it for updated information.

Keep it up

10:02 AM  
Blogger JavaRoasters said...

I think you should start a "charity" adsense site and donate part of the profits back to charity, for the tax decuction of course. That way you will feel better about 2 things that bug you.

I agree with you on the gov't and big companies, people will think you live in Canada if continue to write that way.

2:12 PM  
Blogger richandzhaoyan said...

geebandit - That is a pretty good suggestion - And I like the term 'compromise' as opposed to abandon - Just a short term type of lapse ;) - And of course making a little brass along the way does help to keep the interest and effort up.

Peter - I like your thinking about the charity sites :) Have your cake and eat it as it were. Seriously, in case anyone thinks I have a total dislike for all charities, this is certainly not the case. However, in the example I quoted in the original post, there were alot of charities paying $5+ per click when for the search term gifts - (take a look at how many results google throws out for that term) - the maximum bid was less than $1 per click. When the cash is going on paying for adsense, its not going to the good cause intended - too many charities have simply turned into businesses - desperate to compete with each other.

With regards to living in Canada - surely its not as bad as here - tell me its not - Canada was on my list for dream emmigration destinations!! Been there a couple of times (got an Uncle lives in Ottawa) and loved the place, just not too sure about the winters.

Cheers guys and thanks for stopping by,

Rich

8:53 PM  
Blogger JavaRoasters said...

Overall Canada is a great place, Ottawa is a beautiful city in the summer and winter. It can get a bit cold in the winter but you can dress for it. I am off to Ottawa next weekend for a visit, if I see your uncle I will say HI for you. :)

I personally prefer the small towns, I find the lifestyle much more relaxing although moving my business to one would take a bit of work. In the long run that is what I want to do. Ride my bike to work and enjoy life, instead of sitting in front of my computer all day.

I would go for the charity AIS site, $5 is good cash. Think of the big screen TV. ;) I would make a nice XMas gift.

3:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home