Name:
Location: Stroud, Glos, United Kingdom

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Chemo's shopping cart project sinking?

Well, no doubt I am a little behind the times but a couple of days ago, I caught up with reading a few blogs, one of them being Chemos. I was pretty dissapointed to read his latest post and from what I read into it, the demise of his shopping cart project.

As an osCommerce user and sponser, I am very grateful for the contributions made by Bobby to the osC contributions and forums. There are still many times now that I refer to his forum posts. I was also lucky enough to spend a short time one evening with him on IM - "Get with me on IM" was the prompt, at which point I had to quickly download IM and put myself through an instant crash course on how to use it.... The following 30 minutes proved to me beyond any shadow of a doubt just how switched on the guy is and how bl**dy fast he works. He found the cause of a problem I had within minutes that would have taken me weeks or months to have figured out myself (if at all).

To lose such an asset to the osC project was, in my opinion, unforgiveable. I appreciate that it was primarily a personal problem between Bobby and the osC team and that Bobby could also be very, very straight talking when it came to posting on the forums - however, in my experience, he was never anything but helpful and very polite too. Again, having read most of the posts that became controversial, it seemed to me that the people that were getting rubbed up the wrong way were generally just hacked off that their work was being criticised, even if it justified.

Having read Bobbys latest post, I can understand entirely his reasons for wanting/needing to get back to more financially rewarding work but I was pretty surprised to hear that he is hoping to return to the osC fold. OK, maybe it should not be such a surprise, as he knows the osC code inside out and obviously takes a lot of pleasure in improving the code spreading his knowledge on the forums, but, it would be a pretty big, if welcome, surprise if the osC team (Harold in particular) allow him back into the fold. There was an awful lot of dirty washing aired at the time of departure by both sides.

Of course, I would love to see him back at osC as I would equally have liked to see his own shopping cart project come to fruition. Either way, I hope it works out well for him and I hope people will stay off his back. It never ceases to amaze me how the users of osC and also the few that have been posting at Bobbys project forum seem to demand action and results from someone that they are not paying!! (This demand seems to be aimed at pretty much anyone who is giving of their free time on any forum - mystifies me totally)

1 Comments:

Blogger JavaRoasters said...

I am also a huge fan of Bobby's and also of the osC project. I miss having Bobby's skills available to the community, but even more I miss his charm. He has always been polite, kind and always generous with his time. You are right, he does work very fast, as you are still explaining the problem he has already coded the solution for you.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for him to be allowed back into the forum, we can only hope. He has such a talent and I hate to see that go to waste. Whatever Bobby does I know that in the long run he will be sucessful at it.

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home