Name:
Location: Stroud, Glos, United Kingdom

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Where Were We?

Well I have been tagged by Gary, via his latest post "Where Were You?" - So, here goes:-

1 Year Ago - Just got back from a month visiting the in-laws in China - Great time there - Cant speak the lingo but love the fact that you can buy beer (in a restaurant) for less than 20p a litre and that their chinese wine is about 55% proof! Anyhow, survived the trip to get back to the UK just in time to take ownership of the new warehouse which I then spent the next few months kitting out. Had been married for 2 years then, with the one son (18 months old then and an absolute handful!)

5 Years Ago - Travelling the world in the merchant navy, a wealthy, single man! Blissfully unaware of terms like osCommerce, Blogs, php, css, etc, etc... The only thing I used the computer for then was watching dvds, listening to music and playing the odd 2 week game of civilisation. I was working for a company called the RFA - thats the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (Forget the jokes about dyslexic wannabe airforce pilots ending up at sea instead of flying). Employed by the mod to travel the world supplying the Royal Navy ships. It meant getting the perks of travelling with the RN but still being civilian so not having to put up with too much bs. I was an Engineer, which meant I spent alot of time up to my elbows in oil in the engine room but when not working, most time was spent either sunbathing or in the bar - it was a pretty good way of life for a single bloke.

10 Years Ago - Well, I had pretty much just qualified as an engineer and was probably on my first stationing out in Dubai. This was where I eventually met my wife (so, my life at sea started out in the gulf and finished there!).

My life up till now really has evolved with apparently very little input from myself - I was pushed from school to University as I had reasonable results at school - I flunked University within 2 years due to spending most of my lectures in the pub! I joined the navy as I had little else to do then. (I remember the job interview by the RFA - it went along the lines of:- "So, Mr Hurn, have you heard of the RFA? - No, Do you have any family members who have worked at sea? - No, Do you know anyone who works in the Navy? - No, Are you sure this is reallly the job you are after? Not Really! - They consequently offered me a job... must have been pretty desperate and I thoroughly took to it.) Prior to finishing in the navy, I invested all the money I had in buying a gift shop, partnership with my Dad, seemed like a good idea at the time - I didnt need a house as I was working away all the time. Then I got hitched so had to take on a 95% mortgage for a house! 2 Years ago, I set up heritage-gifts.co.uk and a flurry of orders followed, leading to having to setup the warehouse.

One thing really has just led into another - makes you wonder what I will be writing in 10 years time - assuming my bad habits havent got the better of me of course!

Anyhow, I had better get back to work - Heritage-at-Home.co.uk ( heritage-housewares, heritage-hardware, heritageinthehome.....!!??!?) Whatever...... the next online shop needs working on.

Thanks for the distraction Gary. Now, I reckon I had better pass this across the atlantic to Pete, JC and Dan

Cheers,
Rich

2 Comments:

Blogger JavaRoasters said...

Hey Rich,

Sounds like a varied and interesting past 10 years, and pretty good now that you have a family. I haven't done as much traveling as you but hopefully at some point in the next few years I will get the chance to see that world, probably not with the Navy, more likely with Air Plan Points.

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright, I bit: Read up

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home